How to Get a Stock Broker License

Stock Broker License: You don’t have to earn a college to degree to become a licensed stockbroker, but you do have to take a series of exams before you can begin buying and selling securities. The Financial Industry Regulation Authority (FINRA) requires that all securities brokers pass the Series 7 exam in order to receive their license. Most states also require you to pass the Uniform Securities State Law Examination, or Series 63, to receive your professional license buy and sell securities in your state.


Get work at an investment firm. In order to sit for the Series 7 exam, FINRA requires you to have a company sponsor.

Study for the Series 7 exam. Once an investments firm hire you, it expects you to study for the Series 7 while receiving on-the-job training. Use a study guide to increase your success of passing the exam. See Additional Resources about Series 7 study guides.

Ask your employer to register you for the Series 7. When you are ready to take the Series 7, let your employer know so the firm can register you to sit for the test by submitting a Uniform Application for Securities Registration or Transfer (U-4) to FINRA.

Set your Series 7 test date. After your employer registers you, you will receive a contact list of FINRA certified testing sites in your area. You must call your local testing area within six months of your employer registering you to set a time when you will sit for the test.


Study for your Series 63. This test covers securities regulations as they pertain specifically to the state in which you plan to work as a stockbroker. All but 10 states in the nation require securities dealers to have their Series 63 license. See Additional Resources to discover if your state is among those 10.

Set your Series 63 test date. The list of FINRA testing areas that administer the Series 7 exam also administer the Series 63. Call your local testing center in order to set a date to take your Series 63 exam.